Tuesday 28 July 2015

Delirium

The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.
- Proverb 42, The Book Of Shhh

Well. I was warned. I waited months, trying to avoid reading this book. But finally, one afternoon, curiosity got the better of me.

I'm pretty sure authors need to start giving warnings, in their foreword. Talking about foreword, Lauren Oliver, the author of the book 'Delirium', has a beautiful one.

"For all the people who have infected me with
amor deliria nervosa in the past --
you know who you are.
For the people who will infect me in the future -
I can't wait to see who you'll be.
And in both cases:
Thank you."

From that very foreword, I knew I was in for a ride that was going to hurt, but love all the way. (Go away, you 50 Shades of Grey fanatics. That was a purely innocent sentence.)

On to the book review!
How convenient would it be to be administered an injection, that calmed your emotions down to the point where you're permanently in Zen Mode?



But the catch is...it eradicates love. In all forms. That's basically what the book is about. A dystopian American future, that states Love is a disease, the root of all chaos, termed as, 'amor deliria nervosa'.

If you've watched The Vampire Diaries, you'll know what The Switch is. The injection is pretty much like that, except it doesn't turn you into a bloodthirsty vampire.

The Safety, Health and Happiness Handbook (aka The Book Of Shhh) is this new society's version of the Bible. They describe the symptoms of 'amor deliria nervosa', as follows:
  • Stress.
  • Heart Disease.
  • Anxiety.
  • Depression.
  • Hypertension.
  • Insomnia.
  • Bipolar Disorder.
For a while, this book actually had me questioning my sanity, when I read it. I actually believed a society like this was functional.

But I care about your gorgeous jawline, Stefan! I care very much.

Until one of my favourite characters Hana, says, "You can't be happy, unless you're unhappy sometimes."

It's amazing how much this book makes you think. With simple one liners, it makes you stop and go, "Holy pineapple." Or whatever you'd say, under these circumstances.

A world without love would mean, you wouldn't notice things you normally do. Simply because...there's nothing to care for. It's basically, Eat, Sleep, Don't Care, Repeat.

I wouldn't miss the sound of pencil scratching against paper as I'm fervently scribbling down random ideas, or the clack of a keyboard as I'm typing away, or even the jangle of my dad's keys at the door, when he's home.

In a strange way, it's like Lauren Oliver is predicting the future. Which is scary as fudge. Because in a lot of ways, we've stopped caring unless it's on the little displays on our screens that we're constantly staring at.

Surprisingly, this is one main character, I actually understand. Lena is a brilliant main character, whose thoughts are so simple, yet intricate. Lauren Oliver succeeds in showing the life of a normal teenager girl, allowing her readers to put themselves in her place, albeit in a dystopian world.

The book also has a brilliant way of connecting bits and pieces, things you'd never think meant something, but actually did. As you read, it's like bits of the puzzle fit in your head, piece by piece.



As for her male counterpart? Alex. I have no words. 

Just kidding, I could probably write a fan fiction about him. Alex is yet another boy on my list of Fictional Crushes.

He is what the hashtag #BoyfriendGoals was made for. He makes you squeal in excitement, your toes curl and even leaves you blushing for Lena, at some points.

Out of the other characters, I think Grace and Hana are definitely some of my favourites.
I won't elaborate further except that the two are polar opposites, equally lovable. 

To be honest, this book has a very Hunger Games/Divergent feel about it. I thought it'd be a bore but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Special shoutout to the two friends who kept going on about it, forced the book into my hand and let me keep it, till I finally got down to reading it.

On an ending note, Delirium is a book that manages to make the colour grey magical, has amazing quotes/one-liners that you'd want to wear on a shirt, riveting characters and a brilliant plot.


And of course, I must end this with a quote from Delirium that hit home hard.


Bam. The truth hurts.


No comments:

Post a Comment